Friday 9 August 2013

100th Birthday cake


A friend of my Husband rang requesting a cake for her Mother's 100th Birthday. I was informed that she occasionally used fine china and that they would like this to be a theme on the cake - in the style of a cup of tea and piece of cake. Her favourite colour is blue and so this was to be the colour theme.

I iced an 8" square cake in white and used a royal blue ribbon around the middle. I also used round silver dragees around the bottom of the cake. The letters were made from petal paste.


The tea cup was made from a solid piece of 50:50 royal icing:petal paste which I made as smooth as possible on the outside and made a 'dint' in the middle so that I could add the tea (which was made using brown petal paste). The saucers were also made from petal paste - after cutting them out in a circle I placed them on the top of a smaller circle cutter so that they 'sank' in the middle, giving the plate shape.

I mixed edible gold powder with a small amount of clear alcohol to make a paint which I then used to create the gold edging. I then mixed blue colour with clear alcohol to make the blue paint. I then painted the pattern on the china in free-hand.


The small cake was made from petal paste and I used blue decoration on the top in keeping with the colour theme.



No comments:

Post a Comment